Wednesday, October 14, 2026

Bill Bruford (& related) ~ England


Bill Bruford's Earthworks (1987)

Since I already added a page for Bruford, I might as well consolidate his other albums here as well. Something like Bill Bruford's Earthworks would normally find its way to the Journals otherwise.

Which is not to say I somehow don't like the music. It's absolutely fine, though it's not my favorite era nor my favorite flavor of jazz fusion. Getting some real ECM vibes here, that pervasive "need to be an adult" sprinkling that underground artists of the 70s felt compelled to do. The wild and wooly previous decade had passed, and everyone got a haircut, and were provided far better studio accommodations while at it. The technology had also improved, much to the detriment of the actual sound being projected. If only a raw psychedelic edge was applied, then it would be curious to hear the music in that manner.

This CD was part of a large grouping on ebay, of which a few of the titles were of interest to me. The rest I treated like throw-ins, like this title, and I'm certainly happy to check them out as I go.

I met Bill Bruford once. It was after a King Crimson concert in Denver circa 1995. We had one those backstage pass stickers. I've never been one to be star struck but my running set were all about it. He was certainly affable. As I reflect, I do recall having a certain "wow, I'm having a 1:1 conversation with Bill Bruford" moment. I tried to be respectful and offer up a more meaningful conversation, though I don't think anything I said captured his imagination. I was put-off by some of his remarks at the time. Some years later, as I thought about it further, I became sympathetic to Bruford. Night after night, talking to the same ol' prog dorks, about the same ol' crap. Though I tried not to be that, I'm rather certain I was just that. He was doing his duty and answering questions in a perfunctory manner. Just like sports figures do today. Tough business.

1987 EG (CD). Booklet with photos and a high brow jazz essay.

10/14/26 (review)


Bruford - Feels Good to Me (1978)

Somewhat typical "all star" cast gathering from the late 70s. The good news here is the strong Canterbury component brought on by Dave Stewart, Annette Peacock, and Neil Murray. I don't really hear any of Bruford's former bands Yes or King Crimson here, which is not a problem. At times the album seems on the border of greatness, but it often falls into the trap of many solo albums - too many disparate ideas and styles. It's a borderline Gnosis 10 to 11, but yes, I have to admit it is excellent on the whole, and much better than most that tried this very thing. Still... it seems it should have been better.

Ownership: 1994 EG (CD). Booklet with liner notes. Acquired in 2014.

10/18/14; 12/20/18 (review)

Also own: Bill Bruford's Earthworks - Random Acts of Happiness

Previously owned: Gradually Going Tornado

12/22/21 (new entry)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bill Bruford (& related) ~ England

Bill Bruford's Earthworks (1987) Since I already added a page for Bruford, I might as well consolidate his other albums here as well. So...