Monday, August 17, 2026

2026 Fusion / Jazz Journal Vol. 4

Stanley Clarke. Epic (CD) (1974). I've had this title in and out of the collection, both LP and CD, going back to 2014. This listen convinced me to keep it. The music is an extension of where Return to Forever was on Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, and one could see this being the album released instead of Where Have I Known You Before if Bill Connors had stayed with the group on guitar. Jan Hammer and Tony Williams certainly play in a different style than Corea and Lenny White, giving it a different dimension. This isn't as much a "solo" effort as his later works. He does sing on one track which is more cute than offensive. Solid prog fusion album. Thought about creating a page for Clarke, but for now I have three albums in the journals, which seems to be the right place unless I continue to add more. (8/16)

Lonnie Liston Smith - Exotic Mysteries. 1978 Columbia (LP). As with A Song For The Children, I'm including this title in the journals for now. I have one of his classic titles here ready to be listened to, and I'm expecting to build out a page at that time. Exotic Mysteries starts off with an upbeat disco number, once again alienating his built-in audience. But hey, everyone was doing that back then, including Donald Byrd (noting the white pants while at it). This is followed by a mellow tropical jazz number that wouldn't be out of place on a 60s era Sergio Mendes album. Very pleasant. The third track goes in for jazz funk, with enough edge (credit goes to the rhythm section for this) to keep it out of the smooth jazz category. The title track captures a beautiful groove with some wonderful melodies. Donald Smith's flute juxtaposed against Smith's echoed electric piano is divine. Side 2 continues in a similar fashion, demonstrating the opener is an anomaly. I didn't get into the compositions as much here. They are certainly very good, though it fell just short of keeper status. For my tastes the clear highlight is A4 with A2 coming in above the bar. (8/7)

Fusion Juice - First Taste. 2006 Digital Dream (CD). Another quarter bin find. I picked this up because Fusion Juice is a dumb name, sports a sexy cover, are a local Denver area band, and perhaps I may have found a new hot jazz fusion album. Uhh... no. From the very first few seconds, it becomes apparent this is not the next Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return to Forever. First Taste clearly falls into the smooth jazz category. You know the sound. Funky slap bass, digital synthesizers, saxophone, lightly amplified guitar, and danceable rhythms. The musicianship is high, the creativity is low. All the same, the music is easy to listen to and isn't a bad way to drop 40 minutes or so. I can totally picture the scene of this band and the CD. Imagine a cool evening at a Colorado mountain club, sitting outside taking in the atmosphere. Grab a couple of alcoholic beverages and immerse yourself into the smooth textures of the band. A few kind folks then feel obligated to purchase the CD they have on hand, take it home, and maybe listen to it once. And then it finds itself in a thrift shop. "Why did we buy this again?" asks the aging couple as they downsize before retiring into their condominium. Even the track 'Guitarmageddon' is lightweight. They really should have let loose at least once. The only surprise this album had for me was the date. I was certain it was from the 90s until I looked at the CD. (4/22)

No comments:

Post a Comment

2026 Fusion / Jazz Journal Vol. 4

Stanley Clarke. Epic (CD) (1974). I've had this title in and out of the collection, both LP and CD, going back to 2014. This listen conv...