Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Genre ~ USA ~ Albuquerque, New Mexico


Commercial Success (1978)

---12/21/10

One of those albums that I "discovered" along with a friend. Popularized would be more like it, as I'm sure many others found this album long before I did. At one store in ABQ there was a pile of sealed local albums, almost all of them pop or country. But this fusion album looked like it was worth taking a chance on, so I did. At the time, we were looking for Message - It'll Be Awhile album (also on Black Gold).

Lead by the guitarist - a slightly chunky black dude with a cool fro - named L.A. Jenkins, Genre play a fairly typical late 70's instrumental fusion with toned down guitar leads and Rhodes piano as the lead instruments. While Side 1 isn't particularly noteworthy, Side 2 opens with the excellent 'All Mixed Up' where Jenkins lets loose with a more psychedelic tone to the guitar. And this continues throughout the side, though the standard fusion motif is never strayed from too far.

---8/11/26

Time to add this to UMR. I'm going to bump my enthusiasm a bit here. I find the fusion to be more kinetic and complex than what I stated above. Even though I bought this sealed, the pressing isn't the best. It really would do well to have a masters tape reissue. I would never sell this original copy in any case, but a clean sounding supplement would be nice.

In hindsight I wish I'd bought all 20 sealed copies that we saw (approximate). But at the time there was little market for albums such as this, and money was scarce. Most record collectors have similar tales from that period.

Interesting to note I'm seeing folks attribute the band to the Palm Springs area of California. Umm, the address for Black Gold Records is on Palm Springs Ct. (in Albuquerque) lol. Of course having a guy named L.A. Jenkins also compels one to think of So Cal. It's been corroborated by band members that it was recorded live in an Albuquerque basement.

Ownership: 1978 Black Gold (LP). Textured single sleeve. Acquired in 1992.

No reissues exist as of 8/12/26. However it has been rumored that Noble Records will reissue this later in the year. Likely to be LP only.

5/16/92; 12/21/10 (review); 8/11/26 (update)

8/12/26 (new entry)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Genre ~ USA ~ Albuquerque, New Mexico

Commercial Success (1978) ---12/21/10 One of those albums that I "discovered" along with a friend. Popularized would be more like ...