Tokusen Burari Tabi (2002)
Had I known this was a substandard cd-r when purchasing, I would have not ordered it. However in this case, I'm glad I did. Because I would have otherwise missed out on a wonderful, mostly instrumental, progressive fusion. The first lengthy cut reminds me very much of the Dutch prog rock scene circa 1973. Pantheon in particular comes to mind. Track 2) is named 'Metempsychosis' though it has no relation to the Far East Family Band song. Track 5) directly references Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso's debut, and is arguably the highlight of the album.
Throughout, the keyboard sounds seem to indicate a retro type release, though I suspect both the organ and mellotron are sampled. Nonetheless the spirit remains. The electric guitar possesses a sharp 70s styled acidic tone.
There is a jazzy pop undertone found here that is very appealing, reflecting the culture of Tokyo's Shibuya district. The music is also highly complex, and when combined with the sentence prior, the album gives off more than a whiff of the Canterbury scene. Multiple themes are introduced with each track, just as the masters like Moving Gelatine Plates would do, though they don't sound similar otherwise. In addition, there are references to the Japanese variation of Zeuhl, when in a less serious, playful mood. The 80's Japanese prog rock renaissance also plays a role here, especially noted in the 22 minute live recording that closes the album. Mr. Sirius is but one group reference.
Too bad Head Pop Up did not release anything else. Their style is very much in step with my personal preferences in the prog rock genre.
Speaking of a personal note, I started journaling my listens (or at least attempted to do so) in early 2004. Tokusen Burari Tabi was the very last album I'd acquired before I started that journey. 22+ years later, I finally returned to accomplish that task.
Ownership: 2002 Poseidon (cdr). Commercial CD styled booklet with recording details and photos. Acquired in 2004.
1//04; 6/13/06; 8/4/26 (review)

No comments:
Post a Comment