Shijps In The Night: Live in San Francisco, June 8, 2018
I've known about Wooden Shjips for years, but never heard a lick of their music. Imagine my surprise when I found a mint LP copy (in shrink) in the $2 bin at a record store in Denver. I didn't bother to price it out, I just wanted to hear it (some new LP's really do sell for $5). Now that I'm looking it up, somebody clearly made a mistake. I'm certainly not complaining.
I don't usually like to start with a live album (unless the groups themselves do), and it's apparent most, if not all, of these tracks were released on their five studio albums. Guessing it may not matter, as it appears there's some improvising going on, or at least some added kinetic energy. I quite like what I'm hearing here. Very much in the neo psych vein, not so far from others of their ilk like Sun Dial, Black Sun Ensemble, Dungen (if they were English), Plasticland, and Wolf People. The fuzz tone guitar is exactly the sound you want from some obscure 60s psych 45. The hazy and trippy vocals reinforce the psychedelic connection. Same with echoed simulated organ. There's no mistaking the type of music Wooden Shjips peddle in, each track is filled to the brim with psyched out sounds and spaced out interludes.
Ownership: 2019 Silver Current (LP). Embossed cover. Acquired in 2026.
8/12/26 (review)
8/12/26 (new entry)

No comments:
Post a Comment