I had recently spoken of Hooker's The Truth, and mentioned how much more I appreciated it than in the past. And same can be said for Armageddon. Which, BTW, is completely different musically than The Truth. Mostly this album is a mix of hard rock, AOR, and prog. The original date of the release is 1979, but apparently it was recorded in 1973. Oddly enough, the music sounds more like 1979 to me! That American heartland proggy AOR sound. Could have been from the Midwest, instead of Boston. There's gobs of mellotron on this one too, an instrument not found on The Truth.
2009 On / Scorpio (LP). Like The Truth, it too is nothing more than a brick with no info and questionable sound quality. Acquired in 2015.
2/8/15; 7/20/20 (review)
I've long been skeptical of this LP, and was wondering if I would keep it. But it's won me over finally. Definitely an underground American private press gem. Hailing from the Boston area, Hooker goes through some fine psychedelic Christian folk songs with plenty of fiery instrumental work. His guitar and early use of synthesizers save the day.
2009 On / Scorpio (LP). One of those 180 gram bricks that are inexplicably popular. And this one has a skip in the mastering - brilliant. No other info.
2/8/15; 1/25/20 (review)


No comments:
Post a Comment