Goldenwings (1976)
If you read enough of my reviews (painful as it may be), you'll note I often refer to certain fusion albums as "light, breezy, and tropical". One would have to go to great lengths to find a more apt group that fits this description than Uruguay's Opa. These terms should not be viewed upon as a pejorative however. When done right, as is the case on Goldenwings, the results can be sublime. The melodies are superb here, and I find the songwriting to be considerably above average. Overall, Goldenwings makes a fine soundtrack to your next Love Boat excursion, whether on a tropical island or watching it on TV.
---7/7/26
I spoke of the composition style, but didn't talk about the instrumentation. This is also a key to appreciating Goldenwings. Flute, mid 70s analog synthesizers, Fender Rhodes, and amplified electric guitar go a long way to helping enjoy this album.
Ownership: 1996 BMG (CD). With liner notes in Spanish.
8/25/16 (review); 12/18/17; 7/7/26 (update)
8/25/16 (new entry)
No comments:
Post a Comment