Monday, October 12, 2026

Cortex ~ France


Troupeau Bleu (1975)

---2009

A very fascinating jazz funk record. While not the most sophisticated album you’ll ever hear, it absolutely kills with breezy melodies, tribal / funky drumming, and the soft / seductive French female vocals. Nice driving bass and electric piano. The title track is sublime as is the catchy 'Mary et Jeff'. Other highlights include A5, B1, and the much sampled B3. Sits somewhere between the Belgian Canterbury Zeuhl group Cos and the more creative efforts of the NYC disco act Chic. 

---10/11/26

I played this CD quite a bit when I first purchased it. Troupeau Bleu is such a pleasant listen, and it's short, inviting multiple playbacks in a session. 16 years later, and I had a similar experience raising the grade to a +1. I wasn't aware of Sergio Mendes' work in 2009, but it becomes apparent how much Cortex borrowed that sound. The wordless and / or foreign female vocals, the friendly confines of Bossa Nova (or Samba in this case), and the uplifting melodies. Added is a jazz rock component that Mendes himself had experimented with on Primal Roots.

The CD adds one short bonus 'Jazz Dance' which is simply a variation of 'Mary et Jeff'. Nothing revelatory.

Ownership: 2008 Underdog (CD). Digipak with recording details. Acquired in 2009.

11/19/07; 1//09 (review); 3/14/10; 10/11/26 (update)
   

Volume 2 (1977)

Many, many years ago I heard Cortex's 3rd album Pourquoi? and trashed it off as disco, never bothering to return to the band name again. Now I'm wondering if there wasn't more there, as Volume 2 could just as easily be considered disco. But on close inspection there is so much more happening here, it would be a tragedy for fans of the French fusion sound to ignore. Sure there are the fat beats, especially on the opening track, and the requisite white-boy funk track to follow. But as the album continues, the beats become more subtle, with plenty of jazz fills, while the bass player introduces some Top / Paganotti moves. Horn charts, tortured electric guitar solos and piano / Rhodes leads began to dominate. And when the flute takes over... oh, those melodies will be forever etched. This is a really good one and you can boogie on down with it too. I can go for another helping of this.

Ownership: 2002 Follow Me Records (CD). Triple fold-out with liner notes. Acquired in 2006.

3//06; 2/27/10 (review)

Previously owned: Pourquoi. Need to revisit this title for certain.

2/27/10 (new entry)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ORS (Orlando Riva Sound) ~ Germany

Body to Body Boogie (1978) ---10/30/13 Despite what it may appear if reviewing my collection, I'm not one to find the disco genre inhere...