Volume 2 (1977)
Many, many years ago I heard Cortex's 3rd album Pourquoi? and trashed it off as disco, never bothering to return to the band name again. Now I'm wondering if there wasn't more there, as Volume 2 could just as easily be considered
disco. But on close inspection there is so much more happening here, it would be a tragedy for fans of the French fusion sound to ignore. Sure there are the fat beats, especially on the opening track, and the requisite white-boy funk track to follow. But as the album continues, the beats become more subtle, with plenty of jazz fills, while the bass player introduces some Top / Paganotti moves. Horn charts, tortured electric guitar solos and piano / Rhodes leads began to dominate. And when the flute takes over... oh, those melodies will be forever etched. This is a really good one and you can boogie on down with it too. I can go for another helping of this.
Ownership: 2002 Follow Me Records (CD). Triple fold-out with liner notes. Acquired in 2006.
2006; 2/27/10 (review)
Also own: Tropeau Bleu
Previously owned: Pourquoi
2/27/10 (new entry)
No comments:
Post a Comment