Monday, September 28, 2026

2026 Fusion / Jazz Journal Vol. 5

*Weather Report - Sweetnighter. 1973 Columbia (LP). As with Metheny, Weather Report is not a band I have gravitated to prior. According to my database, I've parted with all five albums I've heard by them. All come from recent listens / re-listens. No matter, as I will continue to pick up any title I haven't heard prior, and some of their early albums bring in some revenue. Sweetnighter is their 3rd studio release. Have I finally found the Weather Report album I've been looking for? I think so! And, no surprise, this is the highest rated studio album from my Gnosis compatriots. RYM has it second behind Black Market, an album I have yet to hear. ProgArchives puts it in third behind Black Market and Mysterious Traveler. The latter is good for sure, but nothing distinctive. So why am I enjoying this one more? I like the funky rhythms for one thing. It really has a deep groove. And kudos to Zawinul for turning his electric piano into a wah wah guitar. Wayne Shorter's sax sounds more like Tim Belbe of Xhol, which is the perfect tone for this kind of music. No squealing and skronking. And this is a long way from their more measured late 70s works that could have, or should have been, on ECM. Definitely need to hear Black Market, but at least I have one representative from Weather Report, which has been my wish from the beginning. (9/28)

Pat Metheny Group - Offramp. 1982 ECM (LP). I debated putting together a page for Metheny, since his albums come through here from time to time. They sell well at the shows or at the shop, so I pick up every single one I find in the cheap bins. But I'm not really a fan, struggling to keep even one, as of this date anyway. I just realized I haven't even taken notes on the albums I have heard by him. Including Offramp, an album I've found at least three times since 2019. The problem is I've used up all my good material on Metheny already (the Dan Marino card was a good one Genius Hans). That is to say... I have nothing to say really. It's the ECM sound for the crowd that went from 70s wild childs to 80s businessmen. It's quality music for certain. It's just so... predictable. And dull. (9/28)

*The Halls of Music - For a Five Dollar Bill. 1973 private (LP). My intention was to add this to the Unknown Vinyl Records blog only to find out it really isn't that obscure. I'm not sure why I didn't see it in the first place. All the same, I would have picked this up anyway. It's a private release from Albuquerque with only three performers: John Hall on Organ, Electric Piano, and Pedal Bass. Kaye Pearson-Hall on Vocals, and Jay Blea on Drums. With that lineup, it could be prog rock to lounge. I find the descriptors on Discogs and RYM misleading here (lounge, funk). To me this is Hammond organ based soul jazz not that far from what Shirley Scott or Jack McDuff would release. It's mostly instrumental until the end of Side 1 when Pearson-Hall brings in her Anita O'Day styled vocals and that continues through the flip. Neat little local area piece worth keeping. (9/9)

* - Keeping for the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2026 Fusion / Jazz Journal Vol. 5

*Weather Report - Sweetnighter. 1973 Columbia (LP). As with Metheny, Weather Report is not a band I have gravitated to prior. According to m...