Zed (1996)
Runaway Totem are one of those bands where I've dismissed more albums than I've embraced. Their primary stock-in-trade is Zeuhl, one of my favorite forms of progressive rock music, which makes that a curious conclusion. And I started with them at the beginning, and I still think Trimegisto is an unheralded masterpiece. I purchased Zed not long after release, but it never resonated as much with me, though I did enjoy it. Nonetheless I sold it some years back. I never had it on LP, and when a friend recently offered it up for trade, I thought why not hear it in that format. Let's see if my perspective changes.
I'm not one to usually call out sound differences between vinyl and CD issues, but it does seem to have more bass depth than I recall from my last listen six years ago. Without having the CD here for comparison, that could just be positive thinking.
What I really enjoyed about the debut is that it possessed some nutty Italian styled prog breaks. Zed has none of that and is full on oppressive styled Zeuhl. Complete with orchestra and choir-like voices. The heavy guitars and synthesizers remain. Though it's clearly Zeuhl, it really doesn't remind me of any particular French, Japanese, or American band operating in this space, Magma being the closest. The vocals are very different from the latter, creating separation. And on Zed, Runaway Totem stays in build up mode for most of the recording, not letting themselves go as they did on their debut. Or as Magma themselves would. There is some doom metal styled riffing on the B side, which is a welcome reprieve.
I was borderline on this album when I had the CD. I think the LP, and my long history with the album, puts it back into the collection. Even though my rating remains the same. Interesting to note that you can still get this LP new here in the States for relative cheap. Not too many CD-era 90s underground LPs are going for a song these days.
Ownership: 1996 Black Widow (LP). Gatefold. Inner bag with lyrics and recording details. Acquired in 2026.
First copy: 1996 Black Widow (CD). Acquired in 1996. Downsized in 2020.
1996; 6/16/13; 7/4/20; 8/28/26 (review)
A very odd new release for Runaway Totem. Those coming to this album looking for their trademark Zeuhl sound will be sorely disappointed. It's mainly an electronic album (heavy on the brass sounds) with acoustic nylon guitars, all heavily filtered - and could almost be considered an ambient release. There are a couple of rock moments, with Italian vocals, but overall this one is a real curveball. That's not to say it's a bad album - it is indeed a very forward looking and progressive release in the truest meaning of the term. Not sure where I stand on it. Definitely not what I expected so I stand confused.
Former ownership: 2012 Lizard (CD). Acquired in 2013; Downsized in 2018.
5/9/13 (review); 3/15/18
Affreschi e Meditazione (2012)
Former ownership: 2012 Lizard (CD). Acquired in 2013; Downsized in 2018.
5/9/13 (review); 3/15/18
Also own: Trimegisto; Le Roi Du Monde
Previously owned: Andromeda; Manu Menes
5/9/13 (new entry)


No comments:
Post a Comment