Dedalus - s/t. 1973 Italy


Dedalus' debut, despite being the first album released from one of Italy's premiere independent progressive rock labels, is actually a pure jazz rock play. The rhythm section is fast, energetic, and super tight. The soloists - namely saxophone, guitar, and cello - are loose and improvised. Odd combination that at times is highly successful, and at others quite tedious. Very much an album worth  owning, but not top tier in my estimation.

Personal collection
LP: 1973 Trident
CD: 1989 Vinyl Magic

The original is housed in a wonderful gatefold cover with men in stylish overcoats, and each with cheap watch heads (Timex, Seiko). Simple but very effective. My first copy of the album was the initial CD that I bought upon release. It's basic like all of those early Vinyl Magic CDs, and I still own it. I never did secure the Japanese mini, and it's now one of the hardest to find if you're a collector of those. I've been expecting a repress, but we haven't seen it yet. As for LP's, I was fortunate to buy two original copies in the 1990s, including a new one from a record store back stock in Cheyenne, Wyoming (!!). I traded the latter back then, but the one I kept is mint as well. And I proudly display it on one of my LP walls in an album frame. It remains one of my all-time faves from a cover perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stone Circus - s/t. 1969 USA-Canada

Here's another Mainstream label gem, and possibly my favorite album on the label. These Montreal based musicians (save one), decided t...