Day of Phoenix - Wide Open N-Way. 1970 Denmark

I've seen quite a bit of passion for this record over the years, which has always seemed puzzling to me. Oh, it's a fine album for certain, but it's definitely more middle of the road to my ears. There's not much in the way of songcraft or melodic development. Instead, Day of Phoenix jogs along in a loose, rambling, jammy style. The album is remarkably consistent, with the title track winning by a nose. And I suppose if you have bought into their compositional framework, then yes, one could see this album being a favorite as there are no dips in quality whatsoever.

I consider this album a "high 3.5" (Gnosis 10), in that the music doesn't quite warrant the higher rating, and yet it is essential listening for the progressive meets psychedelic genre.

Personal collection
CD: 1994 Repertoire (Germany)

Originals are housed in a fine gatefold as seen in the auction photo (and all other originals are gatefolds as well). My only copy is the first CD to market which I picked up a couple of years after its initial release. It's a fine reissue with liner notes for both Day of Phoenix and the Danish late 60s psychedelic scene overall. It does appear the CD is sourced from vinyl however. Thanks to reader Achim for pointing out that Wide Open N-Way was reissued with The Neighbor's Son (second album from 1972) on Sonet/Universal (and also taken from vinyl). I never did hear the second album, though by all accounts, it's an inferior effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stone Circus - s/t. 1969 USA-Canada

Here's another Mainstream label gem, and possibly my favorite album on the label. These Montreal based musicians (save one), decided t...