Probe 10 - There is a Universe. 1975 USA

My original review is here, and I'll leave it up. It is interesting to note that the band does indeed credit Return to Forever (the band) as motivation to record this album, after having seeing them live. Without trying to be stubborn, I really don't hear any Return to Forever in their sound despite reading the contrary from others. Probe 10 are way more psychedelic to my ears, and not near as tight, slick, and professional. And for me, that's a good thing that they aren't any of those things.

Personal collection
LP: 1975 Blue Universe
CD: 2014 Lion Productions

Where to even start? I first heard about this album from a rarities catalog in the late 1980s, and it wouldn't be until about 2007 or so until I finally heard a copy via CD-R. It was rare in 1988, and it never became an affordable item. Almost all ebay auctions to date have netted between $500 and $800 for an original (some sealed). I featured this album extensively on the CDRWL and I wrote a rather "outside" review of it in 2007, which I then published on this UMR site. Despite what it might read like, I wrote it sober as a judge during my lunch break at work (can't say that about all my reviews :-) ). It was this review that got me in touch with band leader Jim McGee, and that lead to virtual introductions to Vincent at Lion. And from there, those guys did all the heavy lifting that lead to this wonderful reissue. While awaiting the reissue, I was offered an original LP at a very fair price - not cheap by any means - but much lower than going rates and I nailed it quickly. I rarely pay high dollar for albums, but this one is special I feel. As for the reissues, I picked up the CD as fast as possible. Housed in a Japanese styled mini-LP, with a booklet that contains a full history from Jim McGee and fellow band member Buzz Bachman, and the best possible sound. There are also 5 short bonus tracks that are similar in style. Without question, this is the definitive version to own. I presume the LP to be of similar quality, but since I do have the original, I haven't investigated further.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree... it's doesn't sound at all like Return To Forever. By the way, I'm among the fans of the Probe 10 LP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realise this was out already, so thanks for the reminder. And thanks for getting the ball rolling on this one in the first place :-) As soon as I'd read your post I bought a copy; looks like they're already running out.

    ReplyDelete

Scherzoo - 02. 2012 France

Though released on the Soleil Zeuhl label, I think the users of RYM are right in labeling this band (on their debut) Avant Progressive fir...