Gösta Berlings Saga - Detta har Hänt. 2009 Sweden

Gösta Berlings Saga - Detta har Hänt. 2009 Transubstans (CD)

CD reissue: 2011 Transubstans

LP reissue: 2014 Icosahedron

Two albums in now, and I can honestly say Gösta Berlings Saga has never written a song that has blown me away. Nor have they played anything I didn't like at all. Strange. A new guitarist is in, but mostly the music has stayed the same from the debut. I'd say the "Swedish-ness" has been removed and that's a step backwards for me. And perhaps the post rock tag could be applied in various places (yawn). There's a certain driving monotony to it all. But again, we're in familiar progressive rock territory for most of the album. Gösta Berlings Saga is a true A-list group for me, but I think they can do better honestly. It seems they're on the cusp of releasing one of the best albums of the last 10 years.

'Sorterargatan 3' has a nice repetitive groove to build upon, the kind that made some of those classic 70s albums so good (think Magma). Or a modern band like DFA. 'Bergslagen' is closest to the debut with mellotron and a hint of Swedish deep-in-the-forests type melodies and atmospheres. Best track on the album. 'Västerbron "05:30"' features some aggressive guitar soloing that I found refreshing. There also seems to be more of an Anekdoten influence (first 2 albums) than prior.

Comments

Popular Posts